Steven Kass brings extensive experience to a wide range of issues facing insurance companies and other financial services providers. In 35 years as a business lawyer, his primary role, Steve has represented clients in an array of transactional matters and counseled on compliance and regulatory issues that range from cutting edge to routine, including:
- Corporate and securities transactions; mergers and acquisitions; business planning; contracts; and corporate governance.
- State insurance law regulatory and compliance counseling; insurance product development and drafting; and redetermination of non‑guaranteed elements.
- Insurance regulatory filings and hearings.
- Regulatory complaints, investigations, market conduct examinations, and enforcement.
- Risk assessments and exposure analyses, compliance audits, and best practices reviews.
- Unclaimed property reporting, examinations, and self-audits.
Steve also regularly participates in complex federal and state litigation with other Carlton Fields attorneys, bringing his extensive product, business operations, and industry knowledge to litigation teams defending claims involving insurance products and practices.
Steve’s legal practice is informed by a strong financial background, and in the course of representing insurance industry clients, he often works directly with company and consulting actuaries on product, reinsurance, and litigation matters. He was formerly a certified public accountant, and is the firm’s treasurer.
Steve also serves, part time, as director of the Berger Entrepreneur Law Clinic at Nova Southeastern University’s Shepard Broad College of Law.